3M recently released guidance to help customers identify fraudulent surgical respirators in response to growing reports of fraud related to three of its respirator models.
The company strongly recommends purchasing 3M respirators only through authorized distributors to assure authentic product. Customers with specific questions or wishing to authenticate 3M respiratory protection products should contact the company’s anti-fraud hotline at 1-800-426-8688 or visit the 3M website for more information.
Letter can be read here
Dear Valued Customer,
Recently, we have been receiving increasing reports of fraud related to the following three 3M surgical respirator models:
• 3M™ Health Care Particulate Respirator and Surgical Mask 1860;
• 3M™ Health Care Particulate Respirator and Surgical Mask 1860S; and
• 3M™ Aura™ Health Care Particulate Respirator and Surgical Mask 1870+.
These have included reports of fake/counterfeit product as well as fraudulent
offers where product is offered but not delivered. We have been working with
law enforcement to get counterfeit respirators off the market. These enforcement
actions have resulted in the seizure of millions of counterfeit model 1860, 1860S,
and 1870+ surgical respirators.
In evaluating offers for these respirators, please consider some common signs of
• All 3M model 1860, 1860S, and 1870+ respirators imported into the
United States from any other country are likely to be counterfeit. 3M is not
currently importing these respirator models into the United States. If you
have been offered these models coming from outside the United States,
they should be viewed as counterfeit.
• All 3M model 1860, 1860S, and 1870+ respirators exported from China/
Hong Kong should be viewed as counterfeit. We do not manufacture
these respirators in China/Hong Kong.
• Do not rely on TUV, SGS, or similar certification reports. All shipments of
3M model 1860, 1860S, and 1870+ respirators accompanied by a TUV,
SGS, or similar certification report are likely counterfeit.
• 3M does not use a “Peru Seal” or other similar seals (examples at right).
Respirators bearing these seals are likely counterfeit.
Please contact our anti-fraud hotline at 1-800-426-8688 or 3M.com/covidfraud:
• If you are considering an offer for product that raises one or more of these concerns,
• If you have purchased product from a seller who is not a 3M authorized distributor, or that raises one or more of
these concerns, and want to authenticate the product,
• To verify whether a seller who is offering or has sold you these products is a 3M authorized distributor, or
• If you have any other questions about model 1860, 1860S, or 1870+ surgical respirators or other 3M respiratory
You can find more information, including additional tips to help identify counterfeit respirators, on our website at